Carmel, IN – Meet Me on Main returns Saturday, May 11th in the Carmel Arts & Design District. It will include all of your favorite components of the Second Saturday Gallery Walks including live music, face painting and caricatures, new exhibits and features in local art galleries and businesses staying open until 9 p.m.
Join us on Saturday as we welcome Lisa Pelo of Hot Blown Glass, Inc. They will be leading participants in creating their own glass-formed heart on 2nd Avenue NW and Main Street. Registration is available on Eventbrite and walk-ups will be accommodated if available. Glass forming will take place from 2 – 9 p.m. Please search May 2019 Glass Forming with Lisa Pelo on Eventbrite.com to register.
Meet Me on Main monthly drawing takes place once again! Each month, three $100 gift cards to businesses in the Arts & Design District will be given away. To enter, visit participating galleries and businesses to fill out an entry form; only one can be filled out per location but the more businesses visited, the more you can increase your chances. There is no purchase necessary to participate.
Special gallery exhibits will be featured throughout Meet Me on Main including:
- Indiana Artisan will be having their grand opening celebration, where New Carlisle potter Steven Skinner will demonstrate how he makes his glazed, functional stoneware that includes serving pieces, bread crucibles and ramekins. Shoppers that evening also will enjoy sampling truffles made with Indiana wines by Linda Armes, Abbott’s Candies, wine from Carousel Winery and guests can enter to win artisan-made door prizes. May’s featured show is “Start Your Engines”, watercolors by Larry Hampton, an Evansville artist and former racecar driver whose subjects are cars and other transportation. (22 N. Range Line Rd.)
- Carmel Art on Main Gallery will be featuring “It’s a Beautiful World” with artist Kim Greene and Freddie Kevin. The exhibit will include oil paintings of flowers, birds, still life and abstracts. (111 W. Main Street #140)
- CCA Gallery celebrates spring with “Back Home Again” and “entre Terre et Mer.” They will be featuring Blue Moon Pottery from Carol Bell and Between Land and Sea watercolors from Arnaud Charil. (111 W. Main Street, #135)
- All Things Carmel is celebrating Mother’s Day with a 20% off sale! (110 W. Main St., #104)
- The Carmel Arts Council Children’s Art Gallery will feature work from Woodbrook Elementary. Their exhibit, “Color Wow,” shows how and why they use color in their work. They will continue to exhibit artwork from all of the Carmel Clay Middle Schools and Carmel High School, including a chapter of the national art honor society. (40 W. Main St.)
- Soori Gallery features paintings, bronze and acrylic sculptured works by leading American and international artists. Featured sculptors include Michael Wilkinson, Frederick Hart, Jerry Joslin and more. (33 E. Main St.)
The CCPL Digital Media Lab features a staff photography contest in honor of National Photography Month! They will also be offering free professional dog portraits “Handsome Hounds” from 5-7 p.m. (23 E. Main St.)
- The Carmel Clay Historical Society will be featuring “Wild, Wild, Midwest: Indiana Train Heists of the 1800s” starting on April 13th. (211 1st St. SW)
- The Evan Lurie Gallery will be featuring exhibit of paintings from the estate of Robert B.Berkshire, professor emeritus at Herron School of Art & Design from 1958 until 1996. Berkshire’s abstract expressionist paintings will be exhibited for the first time in almost a decade. Proceeds from the sale of his work will go to the Robert B. Berkshire scholarship foundation for Herron students. They will also feature an exhibition of several chair sculptures entitled “Thrones.” They were previously exhibited at the Indianapolis International Airport. (30 W. Main St.)
- Activities taking place during Meet Me on Main include:
- Free caricatures and face painting by Custom Eyes Designs outside of All Things Carmel (110 W. Main St., #104).
- Free musical entertainment throughout the district. Alexander Camp will play near Anthony’s Chophouse, Emma Hedrick will perform near Magdalena Gallery, Sammy Dietrich will perform near The Children’s Art Gallery and Kassey King will perform near Indiana Artisan.
- Make & Take Art Project with Hot Blown Glass, Inc. from 2 – 9 p.m. They welcome you to come make a glass-formed heart. Please search May 2019 Glass Forming with Lisa Pelo on Eventbrite.com to register.
- Free EV Ride and Drive event allows the public to test drive electric vehicles in order to showcase the value and benefits of electric vehicles as not just clean technology but fun to drive as well. The event will run from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. The sign-up table will be at 111 W. Main Street, next to Subzero Ice Cream and the vehicles will be located in the parking lot behind the building. Participants in the EV Ride and Drive event will be able to test drive or ride along inside a variety of electric vehicles.
A map of the gallery locations and more information about Meet Me on Main activities can be found at www.CarmelArtsAndDesign.com.
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or on-street. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded at http://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf